What are your car accident reporting obligations?

Published 10 Apr 2020

If you have ever been involved in a car accident or have witnessed one, you know that it can be a terrifying ordeal. With all of the stress that comes along with it, it can be easy to forget what your responsibilities are for dealing with the situation. It's natural to get wrapped up in the emotions of the event and worry if everyone is safe. However, it's important to keep your head on straight and understand what your next steps should be.

What do you do when you are in an accident?

According to the Legal Services Commission of South Australia, every driver must stop when an accident occurs and share all required information with any other person who has been involved. This could include another driver, a pedestrian or an owner of damaged property.

You should also make sure to check on everyone involved to ensure that no one is injured. This should be one of your top priorities after getting in a car accident.

What do you have to report to the police?

The Australian Road Rules state that the driver of a vehicle involved in a car accident must report details to the police if the crash falls into the following categories:

  • If anyone is injured
  • If anyone is killed
  • If you have not exchanged information with others involved in the incident
  • If your car is towed or somehow taken away by another vehicle
  • If your total estimated repair costs exceed $3,000

If any of these apply to your situation, it is crucial that you notify the police immediately, or you could find yourself in more trouble down the line.

If injury or death is involved

Australian Road Rules also detail what you are required to do if someone is injured or killed during the crash:

  • Stop immediately at the scene
  • Give all possible assistance as soon as possible
  • Present yourself to a police officer within 90 minutes of the incident to provide a full report and for any possible drug or alcohol tests

If you or a loved one has been involved in a car accident, and believe you are entitled to compensation, Gerard Malouf & Partners Compensation, Medical Negligence & Will Dispute Lawyers are here to help. Contact us today to receive help filing a claim.